When we went apple picking we got so caught up in the fun of actually harvesting our own fruit that we forgot how many apples the average human being would possibly be able to consume. The HUGE sack of apples has been sitting in our hallway (can't even find space for it in the kitchen) and even after packing 2 apples a day for my work lunch, I had hardly made a dent.
It was time to get baking!
Lucky for me, my mom has the best recipe for her homemade apple pie. I practically grew up on this stuff.
This recipe is so quick and easy and has the yummiest of results. I made 2 pies using those disposable pie pans you can buy at the grocery store. Of course, if you only want 1 pie just halve the recipe.
1. Beat together the butter and sugar. Mix in the eggs and vanilla.
2. Add the flour, salt and baking powder and mix it up (I used my clean hands) until your dough comes together to form a ball.
3. Divide your dough in 3. The first 2 parts will be used to make the pie shells and the other will be split and crumbled on the top of the pie later.
4. Squish the dough around the pans until they are covered evenly.
5. Your pies shells should look like this.
6. Peel the apples! I used about 4-5 apples per pie.
7. Cut the apples in quarters.
8. Fill up your pie with the apples (this is just a picture of the first layer) I added another one on top of that.
I then sprinkled a little bit of cinnamon over the apples. (this is optional)
9. Remember that 3rd ball of dough? Split it in 2 and then grate (using a grater) it over the top.
10. Bake in a 350F oven for 30mins until golden brown
Perfect served warm with a scoop of ice cream on the side.