11 July 2012

A New York Minute: Coney Island



Welcome to my new series where I explore different places around The Empire State.
Although I have lived here for almost 4 years, I feel like I sometimes take New York for granted.
I started this series to encourage myself to explore New York and see what she has to offer.
I hope you enjoy sharing in my adventures.

Just in time for Summer, today we are heading to...


It has been on my Summer Bucket list every year but, believe it or not, this was my first time visiting Coney Island. Car, train, bus... there are many ways to get to Coney Island (which is located in Brooklyn) we decided to drive and found loads of parking. 

Strolling along the boardwalk, our first stop was at Ruby's bar & grill (where one of Mike's cousins works as a bartender) It is the only bar on the boardwalk, has a fun dive bar kind of atmosphere and the perfect place to sip on a beer or a cocktail while taking in the view of the Atlantic ocean.

Yes, that's Zoey in one hand and a cocktail in the other. I was terrified that I would end up on the 6 o clock news!
Right next door is the original Nathan's famous. Every July 4th it is home to the annual hot dog eating contest where this year Joey Chestnut consumed 69 hot dogs! We couldn't pass up a chance to dine on a world famous hot dog, but we each just settled for 1.


A little bit further along the boardwalk you cannot miss Luna Park. This re-incarnated original amusement park has a fun retro feel to it and reopened in 2010 with 19 new attractions and games. 
One day I hope to bring Zoey here to ride the Cyclone!


Once you have reached the end of the boardwalk (and stopped to stuff your face with funnel cake along the way) you will find yourself at the New York Aquarium. Entrance is free on Friday's after 3pm and although I was a little disappointed with the size of it compared to other aquariums I've visited, who could pass up on paying $0 to see this adorable turtle?


Coney Island was so much fun and is definitely worth a trip to soak up the sun, take in the funky atmosphere, scream your head off on a roller coaster, stuff your face with hot dogs and admire some jellyfish

10 comments:

  1. Love the idea of this new series! I've never been to NY, but am going with my Mom for her 50th birthday in September so I will definitely take note :) Love the picture of you with the cocktail in one hand and zoey in the other - too cute!

    xxx
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It looks so different from when I visited two years ago! The area was very run down/abandoned, but I still enjoyed it. Sounds like this will be a great series!

    http://mandycrandell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SUPER excited about this series :) Can't wait to hear more!!!! This will be something I can look back on for when I bring little Jack to NYC someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your new series! I've only been to NYC once and loved it! Can't wait to go back :) Excited to see where this adventure takes you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I will live vicariously through you, as I've never been to NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome series! I'm excited to see the rest of NYC through your eyes :) Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a small chance we will be in NY in October, so I am going to love this series :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMAZING!!!! Love this :-) It's my number 1 dream destination so I feel like I'll be able to live vicariously until I eventually get there xxx
    Much love, Bailey from  Vanilla Blonde

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've Never been to Coney Island but it looks like a lot of fun! And your baby is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So super jealous! New York is one of my favourite cities in the whole world and I love Coney Island...and more importantly Nathan's Hot Dogs! What I wouldn't give for one of those! My husband is South African and so is my mom so I consider myself an honorary South African too hehe, happy to have discovered your blog today!

    ReplyDelete