25 May 2011

Who taught you how to eat an artichoke?

So this may seem weird, but last night was the first time I have ever eaten an artichoke. In my 24 years on earth I have never chosen to eat this odd looking vegetable, but last night we went over to my father-in-law's house and artichokes were on the menu. (along with a very scrumptious spaghetti and meatballs.)

I don't know how many calories are in those things, but Im pretty sure I burned more just trying to consume it. First you have to avoid the spikes. Who was the first person to decide that such a spiked plant was edible? I've heard people dip it in mayonnaise or melted butter, but we had a really tasty olive oil and red vinegar combo for dunking. Okay so you pull off a leaf and eat about 10% of it? Alright... I can manage that. You then have to avoid a whole bunch of prickly fibres. Is that where the name artiCHOKE came from? I can just imagine some poor kid named Arti who got over excited consuming his appetizer and forgot to avoid the menosing fibres. Poor Arti! You are then left with the heart. This greyish squishy part is suppost to be the best bit.

Who knew eating was such a science? This whole lesson was taught to me by my dear husband. Im almost sure he had to get his masters degree in artichoking beforehand.

And there we have it. Eating artichokes at the age of 24 like a big girl. I don't love 'em, but I don't hate 'em. I will be sure to give them another chance later down the line.

0 comments:

Post a Comment