16 August 2011

From the kitchen ~ Mom's Chocolate Crunchies

This recipe really brings back memories. 
Chocolate Crunchies is one of my mom's specialties and she would always bake them for Church, School bake sales, birthday parties and family gatherings. 

I love to bake, but unfortunately my hubby is not much of a "cake kinda guy" (total weirdo, I know!) so I usually end up eating the whole thing myself. NOT good for the waste line!
I then remembered these little bites of heaven and thought Id give them a try. 
Mike LOVED them. Success! So go get your aprons on and whip up these "brownies on crack", as the Hubby calls them.

  • Preheat the oven to 350 F
  • Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl


  • Rub in the butter until the mix is crumbly, but sticks together.



  • Press mixture into greased baking tray using a fork. Make sure everything is pressed down.


  • Bake in your preheated oven for 20 - 30mins


  • While it is baking, prepare the icing



  • Remove crunchies from oven
  • While it is still hot, pour on the icing and spread evenly
  • Cut in squares (also while hot, otherwise it will be too hard)


  • Leave to cool and allow icing to set


Mmmm! Enjoy. 

P.S. I TOTALLY FORGOT TO ADD THE 250ML SUGAR TO THE INGREDIENTS IN THE BEGINNING! MAKE SURE TO ADD IT.

13 comments:

  1. YUM! These look so good. I'm definitely trying out this recipe. :)

    xo,
    melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. too bad I HATE coconut. But the pictures are pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The magic of them is that they don't taste like coconut! My hubby AND my mom both hate coconut too, but love these! Give 'em a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE chocolate crunchies!! It also brings back such childhood memories for me, my mom used to make a batch of mixture and half she'd put in the oven and the other half she'd put aside for me to eat out of the bowl - it was my favourite thing ever!

    xoxo
    Taryn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! I may be drooling...

    ReplyDelete
  6. love crunchies! had them at my wedding and they were all polished off! along with the miltart and other sa treats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! they look like a piece of chocolate heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YEY- been meaning to get mom to send me this (and her lasagne recipe) ... gonna bake these tomo! Love you sis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yey - been meaning to get mom to give me this (and her lasagne recipe) - gonna bake some tomo!
    Love you sis <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry about the repeat ... comment didn't show up ... then all of a sardine it did... x 2!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm these look so delicious, I wish I could eat coconut!

    ReplyDelete
  12. these look sooo good!
    thanks for the recipe!

    anna
    www.embracethesunshine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUM! i've had something similar to these before and i remember i couldn't get enough of them.

    thank you for the recipe... i'm sure it'll get a love of use around this house :)

    ReplyDelete