11 July 2011

Meatless Monday. The time I ate a red pepper.

I never thought how hard it would be just to come up with one meat-free dinner idea a week. I have realized that almost every dinner that I prepare starts out by picking which meat from the freezer I'll be using and then come up with a recipe. Shame on me! As I mentioned before, I am not a vegetable fan. There are only a select few that I actually enjoy eating. Shame on me! (again) So when I was stumped on what to cook this week I just closed my eyes and picked the first recipe I saw on the Meatless Monday website. It called for red peppers, which is one of my least favorite (as a child I cut into one and found a worm inside, YUCK!) but I sucked it up and soaked in the vitamin C.
Antipasto salad with Potatoes it is then!
  • 1 carrot, sliced
  • 1 large red potato, scrubbed and diced
  • 1 cup green beans (fresh/frozen)
  • 1 cup cauliflower
  • 1 small red bell pepper, sliced  

First, steam the carrots and potatoes 8-10 minutes, until just tender, and pour into a large salad bowl. Next, steam the green beans and cauliflower 6-8 minutes, until just tender, and add to the salad bowl. Add the pepper slices and capers.

Dressing:

Whisk together the vinegar, oil, lemon juice, orange juice, garlic and mustard in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss well to mix.
Can be served immediately or refrigerated to serve later.


  

3 comments:

  1. you can always add tofu- but i like a cooked tofu :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks pretty good to me! :) that would be hard though. I'm such a carnivore...

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOWZA! That looks delicious. I have always wanted to try vegetarianism for like a week or something, but I love my meat. I'm afraid if I did do it I would eat nothing but cheese. You should definitely do more of these, maybe I'll get inspired.

    ReplyDelete