30 June 2011

Banana walnut Cake

Sometimes I get a little overboard when buying bananas and then half of them usually end up brown and squishy. 
This time a Banana Walnut Cake was in order!

Here is my recipe. I had never baked a banana cake in my life and was so happy with the results. YAY! The mixture fills a 9x13" pan or two 9" layer cake pans. I halved the recipe (below) since the only cake pan I ever use is the top tier of my wedding cake tin pans (I was once determined to make my own wedding cake.) It's the perfect size for just the 2 of us. Well... make that the ONE of us since my husband is an absolute weirdo who doesn't like cake! WHO doesn't like cake? 


You will need:
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
2 cups flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon baking soda (add to pureed bananas)
3 pureed bananas, very ripe


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray your pans with non-stick spray. 






Cream the butter, sugar & eggs together with an electric mixer. (or a whisk for the bonus of an arms workout!)












Sift the flour a couple times and add the salt and baking powder

*SIDE NOTE: I didn't have any baking powder so I used a 1:3 ratio (math baby!) of cornstarch to baking soda. 
P.S. I think its better to use half cream of tartar and half baking soda.












Add the milk and flour (alternating, beginning and ending with flour) to the butter mixture.
Add walnuts, vanilla and bananas.
















Bake in the oven for 25 - 35 min
Cool!














Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 stick butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 box powdered sugar (1 lb.)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Mix cream cheese and butter until smooth, add sugar and vanilla and blend well. Spread on cooled cake.



7 comments:

  1. i LOVE banana loaf so i think i would like this too! what time would you like me round? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great pictures of the finished product! This looks so DELICIOUS!!! I am drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! Now you need a latte to dunk a little bit in.. SO YUM! I am so jealous you can bake.. I am the worst baker.. nothing ever turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMM! I love everything banana and this looks absolutely delicious! I'd love to reach into my monitor and grab a slice...if only that were possible :)

    <3 kris&kel
    www.krisandkel.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. its looks very yummy! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my goodnessssssss i need to eat that NOW. unfortunately i just ate like 4 cakes last night. ok that's an exaggeration, but it was my mom's birthday and 4 people brought cake so i definitely had 4 pieces of cake. i'm kind of still full.

    ReplyDelete